Emotionally Focused Therapy Externship
Dates: November 11-14, 2021
Time: 9 AM – 5:30 PM (Eastern)
Total CE Hours: 28 (Must attend all 4 days of training to receive CEs)
Early Registration Rate (before 10/14/21): $850
Full Registration Rate (after 10/14/21): $950
CMH Clinician* Early Registration Rate (before 10/14/21): $800
CMH Clinician* Full Registration Rate (after 10/14/21): $900
Student/Equity** Registration Rate: $550
*Community Mental Health Clinician Rates: We offer this discounted rate to enable clinicians working in community mental health settings on a full-time basis to be able to participate. Group practices are not eligible.
**Student/Equity Rate: This registration option is for full-time students and for participants with historical/institutional barriers to access. Please choose equity pricing only if you are a member of one or more historically marginalized communities.
Continuing Education Credits:
|28 continuing education (CE) credits will be available for an additional fee of $30. CE credits are provided through the Council for Relationships. MUST attend all 4 days of training in its entirety to receive CEs. No partial CE’s will be given.|
|Council for Relationships is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Council for Relationships maintains responsibility for this program and its content.|
The following entities accept continuing education credits provided by APA-approved sponsors:
- The Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors
- The New Jersey State Board of Marriage and Family Examiners
- The Delaware State Board of Professional Counselors of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals
- The Delaware State Board of Social Work Examiners
Clinicians licensed in other states should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
If notified in writing of canceling by October 14, 2021, the fee is refunded minus $50 administrative fee. If notified in writing of canceling between October 15, 2021 & October 28, 2021, 50% of the fee is refunded. Registrations canceled after October 28, 2021 are not refundable.
PCEFT values building community and strives to create opportunities for networking and support among colleagues at all levels of EFT experience. We will provide opportunities for participants to connect and network in small groups on Zoom.
Ting Liu, PhD, LMFT, Certified EFT Trainer, Supervisor and Therapist
Description of Externship
This is an official Externship, endorsed by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) and brought to you by the Philadelphia Center for EFT (PCEFT).
The four day EFT Externship is the first official step to learning EFT. Four day Externships in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (approximately 30 hours) includes the observation of live and video recorded couple and individual therapy sessions, presentations of theory and clinical techniques, skills training exercises, and discussion of specific cases, clinical material and issues.
Following this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Gain clear understanding of theoretical underpinnings, research and road map of EFT;
- See relational and emotional distress of couples, families and individuals through the lens of attachment theory;
- Explore, organize and distinguish negative interaction patterns that maintain relational distress;
- Access, assemble and deepen core attachment emotions that underlie negative interaction patterns;
- Apply systemic, experiential and humanistic interventions as EFT micro-interventions;
- Practice the 5 core moves of the EFT Tango macro-intervention;
- Shape key bonding events that build secure connection;
- Overcome therapeutic impasses and address existential dilemmas.
- Participants will obtain a clear understanding of the basic experiential and systemic concepts of an “Emotionally Focused” approach to therapy.
- Participants will be able to view clients in the web of their interpersonal attachments and conceptualize relationship distress and repair based on theories of attachment and emotion.
- Participants will develop skills in sharing and maintaining an engaged, open and collaborative alliance with clients.
- Participants will develop skills in the 5 moves of the basic macro-intervention – the EFT Tango – in order to change patterns of affect regulation, models of self and other, strategies for engaging others and interactional patterns.
- Participants will develop skills in EFT micro interventions taken from experiential and systemic models of intervention.
EFT is a relational therapy. The Externship will focus on the general model of EFT as laid out in the 2019 book, Attachment Theory in Practice, and teach the model as implemented in couple and individual therapy sessions.
Prior understanding of EFT and Attachment Theory preferred but not required.
Psychologists, Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Professional Counselors, and Graduate Students
About our Trainer
Ting Liu, Ph.D.,LMFT, serves as the clinical director of PCEFT and is a certified EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) trainer, supervisor and therapist.
She is licensed in Pennsylvania as a Marriage and Family Therapist and is an Approved Supervisor with the American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy. She maintains a Private Practice in Wayne, PA.
Dr. Liu received her doctorate in Child Development and Family Studies with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy from Purdue University. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for Family Intervention Science at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Her publications include four books she has translated into Chinese in the fields of MFT and EFT. She has also published several journal articles on different applications of EFT and wrote a chapter on multi-cultural therapy in the EFT casebook. She is currently involved in several outcome studies examining the cultural applicability of EFT to diverse populations.
Dr. Liu offers EFT training, supervision, and case consultation to therapists in the Philadelphia area, as well as to therapists in Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Singapore, Taipei, and Tokyo.